Hi! I’m excited to be a regular guest on Amanda Williams’ radio show about nutrition and personal health. We covered a lot of ground on our first discussion, and Amanda was a very gracious host while I found my radio legs! Here’s the first episode; we’ll continue to post the segments here. Some topics we discussed included:
- 0:01 Host Amanda Williams talks about the importance of food in overall health, and throws Portable Chef some kind words.
- 3:22 Portable Chef’s origin story, and its mission to provide healthy customized meals made with care and sourcing great ingredients.
- 7:14 The importance to Portable Chef of supporting small organic farmers and farm animal welfare, and how that leads to meals you can feel good about eating, that is the most nutritious, and that tastes the best. I got a chance to quote a childhood friend’s dad, a passionate foodie who once unannounced stood up at Thanksgiving dinner and yelled, “90% OF COOKING IS BUYING!!!”
- 9:32 We discuss how we go about customizing meals for our personal chef clients for complex dietary requirements (including keto, low-Fodmap, paleo, low-sodium, and other diets), illness management, and customer tastes.
- 12:20 Meal delivery services with national profiles? We discuss why we think shipping meals across the country is a terrible idea, and why Portable Chef will always be a local meal delivery service.
- 16:28 How do you satisfy a sweet tooth while sticking to a healthy diet, and even when you’re trying to lose weight? I’ve got some strong, sweet opinions about good ways to include desserts.
- 19:48 We cook hundreds of different dishes for our clients every week. How do we come up with the recipes? Great questions; we discuss that here.
- 21:56 We discuss the importance of ingredients sourcing at Portable Chef, specifically looking at Iliamna Fish Company, our salmon provider, and why their product is so superior to 99.999% of all salmon available to buy.